Riley's French Toast with Caramel Syrup
Posted by Christine George on June 18, 2017
Makes 8 slices
Dairy-free, Egg-free, Soy-free, Peanut-free, Treenut-free, Fish-free, Shellfish-free
"An egg-free, dairy-free French Toast that will have the thumbs up from everyone. This is sure to be a hit. It works well with thick slices of allergy-safe white bread or cinnamon bread. For a heartier breakfast, use a whole wheat bread."
2 cups coconut or soy milk
4 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
8 slices thick white bread - egg, milk, and nut free
Optional - Dairy free whipped cream
1/2 cup of canned coconut milk (use the solid coconut cream. Soy milk can also be used as an alternative)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1) Preheat a griddle to 375 degrees or non-stick pan over medium heat.
2) Combine milk, cornstarch, vanilla, and cinnamon in a shallow pan. Whisk ingredients together until well blended.
3) Place a slice of bread in the milk mixture. Completely coat the bread on both sides.
4) Place bread on the heated griddle and cook 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the bread to brown the other side. Do not flip early, the bread will be too soft to flip before it is fully cooked.
5) Top with caramel syrup, sliced strawberries, and dairy free whipped cream
1) Add all ingredients into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth.
2) Serve warm over french toast.
>> User Comments ()